tile FAQs & Important information
Q: My Zellige tiles have chips off the surface of the tiles. I think they are damaged?
Rest Assured, this is not a defect of the tile. Please note the following features of Zellige mosaics are not defects, they are standard features of a zellige tile and what make them so incredibly beautiful once installed.
- Chips off the surface of the glaze exposing the clay beneath or Imperfections on the tile face
- Dips in the surface of the tile
- Uneven edging of the tile
- Ink or pen on the glaze surface
- The epoxy resin at the back coming through to the front of the mosaic
- For assembled sheets – uneven gaps between mosaics pieces.
- Variation in colour between tile pieces
- The exposure of the clay beneath the tile
- Uneven or inconsistent thickness of each tile – each tile will vary from the next
Shade variations are inherent in all kiln fired clay products. It is possible that the tiles you receive will be slightly different from the sample or display shown to you in the showroom - this is normal. Please refer to our Moroccan Tile Standards below for further details and illustrations.
Q: Where I can use your tiles? Are they okay for wet areas and floors?
Our handmade Moroccan and cement tiles are perfect for decorative accents on counters, splashbacks, bathrooms, vanities, window surrounds, fireplaces and can be used for indoor and outdoor flooring. The possibilities are truely endless!
Q: Why is the colour and tone of my tile so varied?
Zellige is made by hand in an extremely organic way. Each batch varies from the next as our artisans have learnt this art form from their ancestors. The colours that are mixed are by memory. Depending on the location of the tile in the kiln ( Higher up or lower down) the tone of the colour will vary. This is what gives the tile their inherent tonal variation and makes them so uniquely bespoke and beautiful Each tile is different from the next.